Accountant A2 (09/20 ADD)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Finance
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The jobholder will work closely with the Head of Finance and Procurement to ensure that the financial and procurement operations of the British Embassy Addis Ababa is in line with UK government policies, local government regulations and international standards and that we are achieving value for money in the use of public funds.
The successful candidate will manage a team and work with teams across the Embassy, the regional hubs and the processing teams to ensure effective management and the smooth running of the finance function at the Embassy.
He/she should possess strong analytical and interpersonal skills and be solution oriented and comfortable working within a network of a global and complex organisations.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Process all financial transactions in a timely manner including payroll, invoices, expenses and VAT.
- Keep accurate records of all financial transactions in a timely manner including payroll, invoices, expenses and VAT.
- Creating monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports including forecasting and balance sheet.
- Prepare regular balance sheet account reconciliation and regular returns to Regional Hub, Processing centres and the teams in the UK.
- Resolve financial queries raised in a timely and professional manner.
- Support Deputy Head of Corporate Services with audit preparation and audit check documents.
- Key point of contact for the processing centres and regional hub on all financial and accounting processing relating matters.
- Supporting the Deputy Head of Corporate Service and Director of Corporate Services on projects and ad hoc tasks when required.
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- A diploma or degree in accounting, finance management or equivalent from a reputable institution.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience in finance and using accounting software packages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including reporting writing skills.
- Good organisational skills and the ability to work efficiently and accurately under pressure.
- Computer literacy in all Microsoft Office Packages and a strong understanding of IT systems.
- Ability to handle confidential issues/information and deal with colleagues and clients in a friendly and sensitive manner.
- A team player capable of working on their initiative and who is adaptable to changing priorities.
- Ability to work in a high pressure, high workload environment.
- Flexible and positive approach to working in a forward thinking, modern and motivated organisation
- Level of language required: Fluent in both written and spoken English and Amharic.
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Professional accountancy qualification.
- Experience of working for the UK government, another government or international organisation.
Changing and Improving, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline: 1 July 2020
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Working hours per week: 36
Duration of Post: 12 months
Location (City): Addis Ababa
Type of Post: British Embassy
Number of vacancies: 1
Starting monthly salary: ETB 17,292.41
Start Date: 1 August 2020
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Learning and development opportunities (and any specific training courses to be completed):
The British Embassy promotes a learning and development culture. Training for all aspects of the job will be available and a wide variety of personal development training opportunities available to all Embassy staff.
Normal working hours are 08:00 - 16:45 Monday to Thursday and 8:00 – 13:00 on Fridays.
Flexible working can be accommodated in consultation with the Deputy Head of Corporate Services - Finance and Procurement.
Locally engaged staff of all grades will be entitled to paid annual leave as follows:
Up to 2 years 22 days
After 2 years services 25 days
After 5 years services 30 days
How to Apply
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy will never request any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- Employees recruited locally by the British Embassy in Addis Ababa are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Ethiopia.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to;
- Obtain the relevant permit
- Pay the fees for the permit
- Make arrangements to relocate
- Meet the costs to relocation
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Information about the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Competency Framework can be found on this link:https://ift.tt/37VmWZ1 note: Job grade AA=A1, AO=A2, EO=B3, HEO=C4, SEO=C5
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Ethiopia with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- The British Embassy in Addis Ababa is an equal opportunities employer, dedicated to inclusivity, a diverse workforce and valuing difference
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to click on the below link and apply through our recruitment platform only.
Accountant A2 (09/20 ADD)
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Local Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.
See Job Detail or Apply